Monday, March 23, 2009

Where' the blog go?

Thanks to all who contacted me to let me know the blog did not come through last week. Actually, I was swept up in the Light My Fire Auction & Concert to benefit the Leukemia Society. For the past 3 years I've been in charge of this event, which involves auctioning off firefighters as well as items donated by local businesses. Band 3rd Degree Burn http://www.3rddegreeburn.com/ performed for the event as well.
For the past 2 years, we've just about doubled the amount raised, hitting $12,149 this year compared to $6,100 last year.
We had a great time and supported a very worthy cause. See how much fun we had at http://www.bhpimages.com/commercial.htm.
Needless to say, I didn't have much time to work out or do my blog. I really utilized the FitnessMeIn concept during the final stages of my event planning! I also really worked my mind, which is a great thing. In fact, I recently read that a Mayo Clinic study indicates that middle aged and older people who work out their minds can keep their minds stronger.
Here's the scoop: Yonas Geda of the Mayo Clinic looked at people between the ages of 70 and 89. Some had a little memory loss – called mild cognitive impairment. Others did not. All were asked about things they did in middle age, from 50 to 65.
People who kept their brains active with things like reading, games, computer activities and crafts were 30 percent to 50 percent less likely to have developed mild cognitive impairment.
“This means perhaps aging does not have to a simple passive process,” says Geda.
The study was supported by the National Institutes of Health. Learn more at www.hhs.gov.

No comments: