Saturday, November 1, 2008

Don't join these stats!

OK Ladies – let’s get moving. I just read a report that totally scared me.
Here it is: The rate of new cases of diagnosed diabetes rose by more than 90 percent among adults over the last 10 years, according new data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
For you number junkies here’s the scoop: New cases of diagnosed diabetes have increased to 9.1 per 1,000 people in 2005-2007 from 4.8 per 1,000 people during 1995-1997 in 33 states.
“This dramatic increase in the number of people with diabetes highlights the increasing burden of diabetes across the country,” says lead author Karen Kirtland, Ph.D., a data analyst with CDC′s Division of Diabetes Translation. “This study demonstrates that we must continue to promote effective diabetes prevention efforts that include lifestyle interventions for people at risk for diabetes. Changes such as weight loss combined with moderate physical activity are important steps that individuals can take to reduce their risk for developing diabetes.”
I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with Logen, so now I’m in the higher risk bracket.
Basically I try to eat like I’m already diabetic – which means PORTION CONTROL – most of the time in hopes that I avoid adding to these statistics (and also so I can have diet "cheat days" when I want). I also exercise, which is KEY.
Next time you make an excuse not to exercise, think about bucking this trend instead and get your rear in gear .

No comments: